Tuesday, September 7, 2010

7 week ultrasound

On Tuesday, August 12 I had my "dating ultrasound" at the Milton District Hospital.  The appointment was at 2pm so I started drinking the obligatory 2 bottles of water a few hours before, to ensure my bladder was adequately full.

I arrived at the hospital bursting with anxiety and a full bladder.  I only had to wait a short time to get in.  Unlike the dating ultrasound I had with Olivia (when I got in a fight with the ultrasound tech because she refused to let B in the room), this time I went on my own and B stayed in the waiting room.

The tech was very nice (unlike the last time) and was very sympathetic when I explained that this was my second attempt at having a baby.  She immediately put me at ease and began the procedure.

As with the last time, the baby was very small so the external ultrasound couldn't get a good reading.  She decided to do the transvag procedure instead.  Let's just say it's a giant wand that resembles a phallic device, but it's much less uncomfortable than a pap smear.

The nurse didn't say much during the procedure (which I learned the first time, was very normal - in fact, the previous technician warned me that if she wasn't talking, it was because she was focusing on the exam), but remained friendly and upbeat.  A few minutes in, I couldn't take it any longer and asked "how many are in there?" and she confidently said "I can see one".  What a relief!  My mom's family has a LOT of twins, and I had a weird feeling there was more than one baby in there, so this was very comforting!

After about 20 minutes, she turned the screen towards me and showed me our baby.  It resembled a jellybean, with a tiny beating heart.  I was so relived to see that there was, in fact, a living thing inside me.  She confirmed everything looked good, and based on the ultrasound, I was 6 weeks and 6 days along.  She also confirmed my due date was April 1, 2011.

Before she turned off the machine, I asked her if she could print a picture so I could prove to B I was, in fact, pregnant.  She happily printed two photos (one a blurry blob, and one that looked like a tiny alien) and left so I could change.  I sat there for a few minutes looking at the pictures, almost in disbelief, before throwing on my clothes and rushing out to show B.

He was very excited to see the pictures, and I'm pretty sure it became "real" to him that day.  We were still hesitant to get TOO excited, but we allowed ourselves to be openly happy and excited about the 33 weeks ahead!

At the same time, we were both thinking "i hope this works out this time...".

No comments:

Post a Comment