Monday, September 6, 2010

Trying again: tools of the trade

When we first started trying to get pregnant, we had no idea how difficult would be.  We tried at random for a month with no success.  The second month, I bought What To Expect Before You're Expecting and which was a big eye opener, and very useful (highly recommend to anyone that's trying to conceive.  The book explained the ovulation process and how to best diagnose my ovulation days through cervical mucous, temperature, etc.  At that point I remember thinking "this is not going to be easy".

By the third month, we were into our "groove" and were successful (I still say lucky).  I will chalk up that success to pure determination - we did it every day for two weeks straight around my ovulation days.  When I thought I was pregnant, I went to the drug store and bought two regular home pregnancy tests.  The first one had the control line and a very faint line (which I learned later meant I was pregnant - the faint line WILL NOT show up if you aren't pregnant).  So four days, four regular tests, 1 digital test and almost $150 later, I finally confirmed I was pregnant.



After we lost Olivia, the doctors suggested I wait a few months until my cycles were regular again.  The first month I was 28 days (as I was pre-pregnancy) and the second month I was 32 days.  I was worried that this variability in my cycles would make it even more difficult to conceive this time around.

So instead of the previous method (doing it like rabbits), I decided to take the scientific route.  A work colleague suggested I go onto eBay and search for "ovulation tests".  I was able to order 40 ovulation tests and 20 pregnancy tests for only $20!  If you've ever been down this path, you know how much these cost at the pharmacy (13 ovulation tests are about $50, and 2 regular pregnancy tests are $15 / $20 for 1 digital test).  I ordered the tests and two weeks later, they arrived in my mailbox in a discreet brown envelope.

These tests were pretty basic - a litmus-like strip that you dip in a cup full of urine each evening.  You start testing on about day 8 and keep testing until you ovulate (which should be somewhere between days 10 and 20, but it really depends on the person, you could easily fall outside that range).  You know you're about to ovulate or ovulating when you have two dark pink lines on the strip. 


I started testing on day 8, and it only took a few days to master the skill of peeing in a small cup.  On days 12 and 13, the two lines appeared, and we focused our "efforts" in that 48 hour period (with one extra attempt the day after for good luck).

And then we left it in the hands of god to decide if our efforts would be successful.....

Who knew I would spend half my life trying NOT to get pregnant, only to spend a year trying to defeat the odds TO get pregnant??

2 comments:

  1. HELLO I WANT TO SHARE A TRUE TESTIMONY ON HOW I GOT PREGNANT WITH PREGNANCY SPELL CAST BY DR. OGBEFUN THAT MAKE GET PREGNANT WITHIN 28DAYS AFTER BEEN MARRIED FOR THE PAST 10YEARS OF BEEN MARRIED TO MY HUSBAND WITHOUT NO CHILD AND AM HAPPY TODAY THAT AM PREGNANT BECAUSE I MET THE RIGHT PERSON FOR HELP CONTACT HIM ON miracletemple11@gmail.com OR CALL HIM ON +2347060552255 FOR HELP ALSO BECAUSE HE SAVE MY MARRIAGE WITH MY HUSBAND BECAUSE MY HUSBAND PEOPLE WHERE ALREADY COMPLAINING OF ME UNABLE TO GET PREGNANT FOR THEIR SON ONCE AGAIN THANK YOU DR. OGBEFUN FOR WHAT YOU DID FOR ME

    ReplyDelete
  2. HELLO I WANT TO SHARE A TRUE TESTIMONY ON HOW I GOT PREGNANT WITH PREGNANCY SPELL CAST BY DR. OGBEFUN THAT MAKE GET PREGNANT WITHIN 28DAYS AFTER BEEN MARRIED FOR THE PAST 10YEARS OF BEEN MARRIED TO MY HUSBAND WITHOUT NO CHILD AND AM HAPPY TODAY THAT AM PREGNANT BECAUSE I MET THE RIGHT PERSON FOR HELP CONTACT HIM ON miracletemple11@gmail.com OR CALL HIM ON +2347060552255 FOR HELP ALSO BECAUSE HE SAVE MY MARRIAGE WITH MY HUSBAND BECAUSE MY HUSBAND PEOPLE WHERE ALREADY COMPLAINING OF ME UNABLE TO GET PREGNANT FOR THEIR SON ONCE AGAIN THANK YOU DR. OGBEFUN FOR WHAT YOU DID FOR ME

    ReplyDelete