Saturday, October 2, 2010

A bump in the road

The last few days have been hectic, to put it mildly.

On Thursday night I stepped out of a class at the gym to pee (a very common act these days) and found a small bit of blood. I immediately panicked (as one does) and left. I rushed to the hospital and went to emerg to get checked out. B was babysitting so I had to wait by myself for a bit. As I began to explain what was happening to the check-in nurse, I completely broke down. All the emotions from Olivia cam rushing back.

I got myself together and waited to be seen for the next hour. Since it wasn't too bad, and I wasn't cramping, they didn't see me as an urgent case. Finally B arrived, which calmed me down. Eventually they brought me into an exam room and took some blood to check the levels. Two hours later, the nurse returned to let us know everything was looking just fine. What a relief!

By that time the spotting had stopped, but the doctor said he was sending me for an ultrasound the next day, just in case.

We got home at 1230, completely exhausted. We crashed and woke up the next morning, eager to see the baby, and also pretty anxious.

The ultrasound tech was very friendly and the scan only took about 15 minutes. At the end she flipped around the screen to show me baby....and everything was PERFECT! I immediately started to cry, and she was very surprised. After explaining what happened with Olivia, she spent a few moments showing me the baby and explained that the head and body looked just fine.

What a relief!! I came out to meet B with tears in my eyes. He had a moment of fear in his face, until I explained that the baby was perfect, and the two of us hugged and cried.

So a little bump in the road meant we got an early peek at baby, and a little reassurance.

Boy this pregnancy stuff is tough! Turns out, the bleeding was from the placenta, which sometimes lifts up a little after it attaches....but nothing to worry about.

Here's hoping the next 26 weeks are uneventful!

2 comments:

  1. i'm sorry to hear about the scare - that wait in the ER is something I never want to re-live again! Glad that you got to see your lil' bean earlier and that everything looks great - I spotted around 11 weeks (after some 'activity' with DH) and it freaked me out big time. Praying that the next 26 weeks are boring and uneventful! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! It was pretty terrifying! But at least we had a good outcome - getting to see baby and finding out everything is okay!

    ReplyDelete