Thursday, April 28, 2011

Five even blurrier weeks!

Wow, how time flies when your world is feeding, changing and squeezing in an hour or two of sleep when you have a few free moments!  The last five weeks have been an absolute blur. I've never "lost" a month like this before!

Noah is doing great. He's up to 10lbs 6oz and growing fast. We've had our share of ups and downs. He had a growth spurt last week and it nearly pushed me over the edge. He was feeding every 2hrs, super fussy and barely slept. It lasted about 4 days and was hellish (but productive, I swear his legs grew an inch!).  When it was over, my easygoing little guy returned and we breathed a HUGE sigh of relief!

We breastfed exclusively for the first three weeks, and then started adding a few pumped bottles a day so hubby could help. Breastfeeding is HARD! I had more milk than he needed and a lot of times he would get choked up when I let down.  Sometimes he would fight me when I was trying to nurse him, he would push me away even though he was starving. Then both of us would be covered in milk (because it doesn't stop flowing when he pulls off) and nobody was happy. Now I only breastfeed 1-2 times a day and the rest are bottle feeds. Its much calmer and now I can see how much he's getting. The big bonus is that hubby can take the 8 and 11pm feeds to give me a break (and let me go to bed).

He now feeds every three hours and I'm getting 6-7 hours (in 1.5-2hr increments) of sleep a night. I feel like a zombiemom most days, and am optimistic these stretches will get longer over time (they HAVE to right??!!).

For anyone looking for useful baby gear, here's a few of my favourite/most used items:

Medela Pump In Style
http://www.medela.ca/CDN/breastfeeding/products/advanced.php
I use this 2-3 times a day and I can pump anywhere from 3-6oz per side in ten mins or less. This is a LIFESAVER and I highly recommend! I wouldn't have any time off from feedings otherwise.  I love the shoulder bag (it moves around the house a lot) and cooler bag for storing bottles on the go!

Prince Lionheart Deluxe Drying Station
http://www.princelionheart.com/site/f_1013.html
This thing lives on our counter, and 3-4 times a day I'm loading it up with freshly washed bottles, nipples, soothers, etc.  I love all the little knobs to hang things on. It works like a charm!

Fisher Price Ocean Wonders Bouncy Chair
http://www.princelionheart.com/site/f_1013.html
Noah lived in this for the first few weeks, and still spends a few hours a day chilling in it. He loves the ocean sound and its not too bad on batteries (we keep a stash on hand just in case).  Enough said!

Playtex Drop Ins Bottles
http://www.playtexbaby.com/Bottles/Dropins
LOVE these bottles and the fact that I only have to wash the nipples (we tried silicone and latex, he prefers the latex). Washing bottles is a pain, and I used the Medela pumping bottles for the first few weeks, which was a total pain! This saves a lot of time (and these days I need all the time I can get!).

Avent Silicone Soothers
http://www.philips.com.au/c/avent-baby-pacifier/0-3m-bpa-free-scf170_19/prd/
I was reluctant to give him a soother for the first week, as I didn't want it to interfere with breastfeeding. Boy am I glad I got over that! Sometimes he just wants to suck after a meal, or when he's settling down, and my breast isn't an option!  We tried a few brands and he refused all but these.

The Baby Whisperer Book
http://www.chapters.indigo.ca/books/Baby-Whisperer-Solves-All-Your-Tracy-Hogg-Melinda-Blau/9780743488945-item.html?cookieCheck=1
This was a godsend from a friend who's also a new mom. We were having troubles getting his routine sorted out and this book introduced us to EASY (eat, activity, sleep, you).  Now he's much more predictable (most days) and much easier to care for. I highly recommend this one, hubby and I refer to it daily!

Pippalily Baby Sling
http://www.pippalily.com/product_detail.php?gid=17
For those days when Noah refuses to be put down and my arms/shoulders/back can't take it anymore.  He loves to be squished up inside!

Tommee Tippee Milk Feeding Bibs
http://www.tommeetippee.co.uk/product/milk_feeding_bib_0_months_/
LOVE the super absorbent collar that catches his drool and keeps his shirts dry!

Hope these tips are useful!  I'll try to post again soon (hopefully in less than 5 weeks!).

1 comment:

  1. I promise you will start to get more sleep soon. Glad you're enjoying the book, I still refer to it on a regular basis! It's a real life saver this method. I'm giving up breastfeeding as Vanessa has been biting me for weeks, and now that she's teething she has refused to breastfeed (yes my 4.5 month old has cut 2 teeth already). So rather than let her starve or have wrestling matches to get her to take my breast, I've decided that it's best for both of us to move on. I had in mind that I would only bf till 6 months, but here I am at 4.5 months and it's over. It was an emotional decision, but I just kept going over the reasons why I was stopping, and couldn't overcome the fact that Vanessa was fighting the breast so hard, and that the calm relaxing time we used to have breastfeeding was over. As the book says, I'm going to pat myself on my back for going as long as I did, and see it as my little girl growing up and moving on to the next stage. I can't hold her back, so if she's ready, then so am I. I hope you'll see it the same way when you arrive at the crossroads one day. Until then keep up the good work. The most exciting times are still to come. From 3-4 months is a magical time where so many wonderful things happen. You're in what I call the twilight zone, and luckily nearing the end. You'll laugh when I say this, but when you get to 4 months you'll kinda miss the twilight zone, not the lack of sleep part, but the baby who just eats and sleeps and cuddles part. That being said, just keep on track with the book, it will help you in the coming months. Write me if you need anything ok!!!

    ReplyDelete