Saturday, April 9, 2011

Two weeks (a complete blur)

Noah is now 2 weeks and 1 day old.  I can't believe how fast the time has flown!  Here's a few highlights:

  • Noah is a pretty easy baby.  He only screams when he wants to be fed (and I didn't notice the time or his cues), burped (which the cry sounds like someones torturing him) or changed.  Slowly but surely we're figuring out the differences in the cries so we can soothe him faster.  He typically has 1-2 fussy hours per day.  Until the last few days, it was from 8-10pm, but now it seems to be 4:30-6:30am, which totally sucks!  Last night I brought him into bed to settle him, I couldn't take the screaming anymore!
  • Noah took to breastfeeding right away.  We went to the lactation consultant on day 3 because it was a bit painful, and she showed me a few minor adjustments which make it much more comfortable.
  • Noah feeds every three hours.  During the night, I feed on one side (during which he usually passes gas and poops), then I change him, then feed on the other side to settle him back down.  Typically the whole routine takes 1/2 an hour, so I'm getting 2-2.5 hours of sleep at a time.
  • I weighed myself last Friday (a week ago) at the doctor's office and I had lost 26 pounds!!!  I only gained 20 pounds with this pregnancy, so I'm slightly below pre-Noah weight (and about 10 lbs away from pre-Olivia weight).  Hubby loves being able to wrap his arms around my waist again (and I'm loving not having to wear maternity bottoms!).
  • Speaking of weight, Noah was born at 9lbs.  Four days later he was at 8lbs 8oz, 1 week later 8lbs 13oz, and yesterday (2 weeks later) he was 9lbs 9oz.  Talk about a little bruiser!  At least we know the breastfeeding is effective :)
  • Noah started out in our bed in a Snuggle Nest Sleeper, but since we only have a queen bed, it was really uncomfortable and tight.  He's now sleeping in the UppaBaby stroller bassinet on a Jolly Jumper bassinet stand beside the bed (on my side).  This way he's within reach if he squeaks during the night.  Unfortunately he's a very noisy sleeper (he grunts, squeaks and cries a lot as he's settling) so it's sometimes nearly impossible to fall back asleep after a feed.  He may be going to his crib in his room sooner than later!
  • Hubby is amazing with Noah.  He really is a proud papa.  He went back to work on Monday so it was just Noah and me for most of the week, and we did great.  I have to admit, I feel a big sense of relief when he walks in the door from work and scoops up Noah and smothers him with kisses!
So far things have been going really well.  The only bump in the road was being diagnosed with mastitis yesterday.  I thought it was engorgement but my left breast got so sore I couldn't put any pressure on it.  On Thursday night I woke up to chills, and when I was changing Noah I got really dizzy and thought I was going to be sick.  When I got up on Friday morning, I felt like garbage and had a wicked headache.  Thankfully Noah had a doctor's appointment, so I was checked out at the same time.  The doctor prescribed an antibiotic and told me to keep nursing and drink lots of water.  We came home and slept for a few hours, and I woke up feeling much better.  I'm still not 100%, and woke up soaked in sweat a few times last night, but I'm a lot better than I was!

Thanks everyone for your warm wishes, we're really enjoying this time as a family!

Here's a few more pictures of our little man:


Second bath was a hit!

Our little slugger

Who could resist this face?


Mommy and Noah


2 comments:

  1. I'm so happy to hear all this! I'm so happy you get to enjoy life with a baby in your arms now. The pictures are beautiful. I particularly love the third one of him when he is sleeping. Such a cute position!

    ReplyDelete
  2. He is sooooooo cute! gah! :) I totally remember the 2 hour sleep at a time and I empathize sister! But soon it will be 4 - and then before you know it 6, 8 and 12! You are doing a great job and you look fantastic! My gf got mastitis as well, but on both breasts. Not fun I hear - I hope it gets better soon and you have your strength and energy back!

    ReplyDelete