Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Baby Bullet review

Before I begin, let me say that if you have the Magic Bullet, you probably don't need the Baby Bullet.  That said, you get a lot of cool accessories with the Baby Bullet that are super handy!

We got the Baby Bullet as a shower gift.  My 7 year old nephew is a tv shopping junkie and insisted they buy it for us.  I was so excited to open it because I was secretly coveting it after seeing the teaser commercials.

After the doctor gave us the green light to start solids, I eagerly pulled the Baby Bullet (from this point forward known as BB) and accessories from the box to wash them.  The kit contains:


The Batchbowl
The larger vessel, the Batchbowl, is for creating large amounts of baby food for storing. The Batchbowl is BPA-free and dishwasher safe (top shelf only). I use this most of the time.  Never operate without the cover on. (and make sure the cover is tight otherwise the liquid shoots everywhere! I found that out the hard way.)

Two Short Cups
These cups are used to mix and store your ingredients. They are BPA-free and dishwasher-safe (top shelf only). I used these initially when I was making smaller batches.

The Power Base
The Power Base is the heart of the Baby Bullet system. Simply place either the Batchbowl or one of the Short Cups on to the High-Torque Power Base, press down and twist! It couldn't be easier!  I use this daily, sometimes to re-puree frozen food that got chunky.  It's small enough to store on the counter.

The Baby Blend Blade and Milling Blade
The Baby Bullet comes with two blades: The Baby Blend Blade is for puréeing and blending foods. This is my primary blade.  The Milling Blade is for milling grains to make cereals. Note: The Milling Blade is only used on the Short Cup. I've never used this.  I can't be bothered to make cereal.  I buy Gerber cereals.  Both blades are BPA-free and dishwasher-safe.

The Pocket Nutritionist
The "magic" behind the Baby Bullet Baby Food Making System starts with your handy in-store companion, the "Pocket Nutritionist" which teaches parents:
• Which foods to avoid in the first year
• Which foods should be organic
• How to choose a well rounded weekly menu
• How to select the freshest produce
• Exactly how much produce to buy to meet your baby's needs
• The health benefits associated with the foods your baby eats
• And more!
This book is has some good info, although I admit I've never used it.

The Baby Bullet User Manual and Cookbook
This wonderfully comprehensive, easy to follow book contains everything you need to know about operating the Baby Bullet and feeding your child for the first 18 months.
The book includes:
• The signs that Baby is ready to start on solids
• The "No-No" Food List for the first year
• A Step-By-Step plan for Baby's first meal
• The proper schedule for introducing new foods
• Eating schedules for each stage of development
• Wholesome recipes!
• A food journal for tracking favorites and reactions to foods
• How to choose a well rounded weekly menu
• And much, much more!
LOTS of great info in this book!

Six Storage Cups with Date-Dial Lids
Your Baby Bullet System comes with 6 revolutionary Date-Dial Storage Cups that are both refrigerator and freezer friendly. Simply spoon your baby food in, twist on the lid and turn the Date-Dial to show the date you created the food. Now you never have to guess when you made the food - you'll know exactly when you made it. The Date-Dial Storage Cups are BPA-free and dishwasher-safe (top rack only).  These are in a CONSTANT rotation.  They're either in the freezer, fridge thawing or empty in the cupboard awaiting the next batch of food.  The kit also includes a handy storage tray that keeps them in place.  These are microwave safe, so to thaw food I either microwave in 10 second intervals, or put the jar in a cup of boiling water for a few minutes and shake to mix.

The Batch Tray
To save even more time and money, it's easy to make large batches of your baby's favorite foods and freeze them for later use. The Baby Bullet Batch Tray is perfect for freezing over 24 ounces of baby food and the BPA-free silicone "easy pop" cups make it a breeze to pop out one serving, several servings, or all 12 Baby Bullet servings with ease. This tray is awesome.  Not too big, it's soft so it's relatively easy to push out the frozen cubes (if they're REALLY stuck, I let the tray sit on the counter for a few minutes so the outside starts to melt, and they pop out easily).  And it holds a lot.  The cubes are the exact same size as the jars.  So I've been popping out the cubes into "fruit" and "vegetable" ziplock bags and then I thaw the food in an empty storage cup.  This way I can use the tray for additional batches.


The Soft Tip Spatula
The Baby Bullet Soft-Tip Spatula has been specifically designed to get your baby food creations into the Baby Bullet storage vessels with ease. This spatula is dishwasher safe (top shelf only), but can typically be cleaned with just a quick rinse with warm soapy water.  This is a little big but it does a decent job of scraping out stuck purees.  That said, a spoon works just as well!

I LOVE this system.  I LOVE the fact that I know exactly what's in my baby's food - water and fruit/vegetables.  So far we've made peas, sweet potato, butternut squash, apples, bananas, pears, green beans and peaches.  We haven't attempted meats yet, but that's next on the agenda,  Jarred meats are not that appetizing, so I'm hoping I can do a better job myself.

Other moms ask me how I find the time to make baby food in the midst of everything else.  To be honest, it really is easy with the BB!  Today I made 5 servings of bananas from 3 over-ripe bananas that I would've tossed tomorrow (I like them on the greener side).  It literally took 5 minutes to peel, puree, pour in the tray and pop into the freezer.  On a night where I had more time, I got 34 servings of food for $7.  It was a combination of pears, sweet potato, green beans and bananas.  There's NO WAY you could buy that much food for so little.

Now don't get me wrong, I have nothing against jarred food.  In fact, I buy organic prunes (Noah gets constipated easily and they help to keep things moving) and jarred meats (Noah's liking chicken casserole and beef/veg and spaghetti).  I also keep some jars on hand for times when we aren't able to keep food cold.  I just like the idea that I can make it fresh, control the ingredients, and save some money!

I've used it so much that I bought the storage expansion kit, which includes an extra freezer tray and 6 extra storage jars and a storage tray.  I also got the recipe book, which has lots of great suggestions for combo meals, which we will be moving to very soon.

What's your favourite baby food to make?

5 comments:

  1. Once all fo the liquid spilled out did it get into the power base? If so, how did you clean it? I managed to get some apples stuck in there and now my base doesn't want to work properly because it's stuck!! Help!

    -Luke's Mommy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm, I've had liquid spill in the base, but I've always been able to wipe it out. I usually leave it overnight before I try to use it again. Have you tried contacting Baby Bullet about it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought I read that sterilizing the parts in a sterilizer was safe, but apparently not! My milling base is warped now and without a receipt I can't get a replacement. I'm having trouble finding a place to buy a replacement part. I was wondering if you'd be willing to sell your milling base since you posted you don't use it. If you're willing to sell me the base, please email me at mrscptjschwab@gmail.com Thanks! I love the BB and use it to make all of my son's baby food. I haven't tried meats yet, but that time will come soon enough. I started using the BB because there is a percentage (albeit small percentage, but it's still there) of "non-food" items that is allowed during quality inspections of processed foods. Things like bugs, dirt, whatever is in that processing plant that could fall into and contaminate food. Plus, I don't feel that giving my son food that has such a long shelf-life could be good for him when I know that fresh food IS good for him. Although some processed baby foods state it has no preservatives, the food has to be heated so much that it loses a lot of the nutrients. My son eats what I eat--fresh, wholesome foods and a good variety of them. I just don't add any salt or spices to his food as I add a little salt to my cooking and some spices. He just started solids, but as he grows and eats more, I'll simply use the BB at our dinner table to grind the same food we're eating until he's past the baby food stage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for responding! I agree it's great, and makes it super easy to feed fresh fruit and veg to your kids.

      I do feed jarred food at times when I want to introduce new flavours and don't want to make a huge batch. But I agree, the jarred food does taste different. Particularly sweet potato which has a tomatoey taste!

      I'm sorry but I packed up my system a few months ago and it's now lost in a sea of baby bins. But if I come across it, I'll definitely be in touch!

      Delete