Sunday, January 22, 2012

PR and Parenthood...not so different

My one year maternity leave is in its final months, and going back to work and sending DS to daycare is always on my mind. I've been thinking about how it will be to rejoin the working world and interact with adults each day. As I've thought about it, I've come to realize that it won't be THAT different than being at home with DS. Think about your child as the needy client, here's how they're the same:

- expect you to be on call and cheerful, 24/7
- request unrealistic timelines ("I want it now, yesterday, tomorrow")
- unrealistic demands ("carry me till I fall asleep", "feed me in a specific chair at a 45 degree angle", "I want that press release in an hour", "get me front page coverage in the Globe")
- they don't always like being told what to do
- they don't like the word "no" and often ignore it
- they can go from super nice to cranky in less than a minute
- you have to clean up their messes
- they can be easily distracted by shiny, bright objects
- they're always changing and you have to stay on your toes to keep up with them (or be one step ahead of them)
- you're always trying to keep them safe and out of trouble
- the only way to survive is to multitask

Any other ideas?

No comments:

Post a Comment