Tuesday, February 7, 2012

DIY baby name project

I realized about a month ago that I didn't have Noah's name anywhere in his room.  I started looking on Etsy and found some really cute ideas, but they seemed expensive.  Then it hit me.  I can do this!  I have a ton of scrapbooking supplies and can use them!

So off to Michaels I went to look for some ideas of what to put the letters on.  I was initially thinking blocks or boxes but found some cute and super affordable mini canvases.  I liked the idea of a canvas because I've worked with them before in altered album projects.  I also picked up some neutral paint and a paintbrush, which were both on sale!



I have a LOT of patterned paper on hand already, so I didn't need to buy any.  But since Noah's room has an animal/jungle theme, I thought it would be cute to add some animal accents.  I found these, and they matched perfectly with the paper I wanted to use.  They were also on sale!


I didn't have an exact plan in mind, but had a rough idea.  Generally when I scrapbook, I start with the base and photos and move things around over a few days until I'm happy with it.  This project took me a week, but only 30 mins the first day, 5-10 minutes on days 2-5, an hour on day 6 and another hour on day 7.  Here's how I put it together.

I did two coats on paint on the canvases.  I didn't worry about it being perfect because I like the aged/antiqued look.


Once the paint was dry, I selected my background papers from the Basic Grey Offbeat line.  I have a bunch of these 6x6 paper pads that I picked up at CKC Buffalo a few years ago for $2 each.  They're great for greeting cards and projects like this, so you don't have to chop up your 12x12 sheets.


It took me some time to figure out how to do the letters.  Originally I used word art in Microsoft Powerpoint and filled the letters in brown.  But I couldn't get the colour I wanted.  Then the lightbulb went off!  I have a ton of cardstock, why not use word art with no fill and a black outline and print them onto cardstock and cut them out!  It worked perfectly!  I printed the letters onto white printer paper so I knew the placement, and then I taped the cardstock onto the white paper and ran it through my printer.  They turned out beautifully!




Now it was time to start assembling.  I cut apart the animal accents and picked out the ones I wanted.


I laid out everything on the canvases.  Hmm...not bad.  But they're missing some "pizzaz".  I moved things around for a few days and thought about what I could do to make them "pop".


This is where my scrapbooking stash came in handy!  I decided to ink the edges of the patterned paper to give them some dimension.



Since everything seemed a bit flat, I dove into my pop dot stash.  Everything got pop dots, the patterned paper, the letters and the animal accents.  These gave them a 3D look.




My next challenge was how to display these creations.  I looked on etsy for ideas.  Many had holes punched in the top and were hung individually by ribbons.  But I wanted something that could stand on his shelf.  So back to Michaels I went.  I looked at an easel, but the shelf I had is small and it was too bulky.  Then I stumbled across a section with wooden letters and accompanying peg boards and sticks.  AHA!  The peg board/stick sets were on clearance for $0.49.  Wicked!  I bought two because I had a blank canvas in my purse and knew each one would only hold two (based on the width of the canvas).  I laid everything out on my desk and taped the canvases to the sticks.  I stood them up and checked them on the display shelf to make sure the height was right (I wanted them to stand behind some stuffed animals).  Once I was happy with the height, I used my trusty glue gun to stick them together.


And here's the finished project:


And here they are in Noah's room.  I'm SO happy with how they turned out!




No comments:

Post a Comment